Tuesday, October 20, 2009

conversations with nathan.

Nathan & I were walking in one of the ghettos in Vietnam. A little begger girl came up to us & Nathan tossed her equivalent of a dollar US, which is a lot. He told me she was apart of a begging syndicate type deal, and there were men who were using kids to beg for money.

I then asked why he still gave her money if he knew this already. He said, "I know the money will not go to her, and all of it will end up in the hands of scum that use these children. But if she isn't able to make money, she will be the one suffering at the end of the day. She may get beatings, she may be left hungry for the night, maybe she might be sold again to someone even worse."

Nathan then turned to me, "Imrhys, we cannot stop this problem today, or anytime in the forseeable future. But we can help the little girl out, and if it's pocket change to us or a beating for her, I'd gladly hand over the money."

No comments:

Post a Comment